Com 495 second paper
an ESL student. Please try to make the essay simple and clear. This assignment is to write about a verbal expression (a phrase or sentence) that has two possible interpretations, similar to the ones we discussed in class (but not one of those).
Describe the two interpretations that can be assigned to the expression and discuss the linguistic properties that make the different interpretations possible. Those properties might include:
1. a word that has more than one meaning
2. a word that can be used in different grammatical categories (for example, noun and verb)
3. a verb (usually but not always) that can have its arguments satisfied in different ways
4. different words or phrases that a modifier (such as an adjective or prepositional phrase) might modify
5. different ways the words in the expression can be grouped together grammatically